KING OF PRUSSIA SKI CLUB
LISTSERV USAGE POLICY
Our primary reason for setting these rules is to avoid unnecessary messages cluttering members' email boxes, as our email traffic is just a small part of what our 500+ busy members have to deal with every day. Along those lines, please recognize that our Listserv is not set up to be a chat room, so only “messages with a purpose” are allowed. The Listserv moderator will review and finalize posting of appropriate messages, but these guidelines will help you to understand what types of messages are allowed.
1. List posts should generally stick to club-related activities or sports-related activities. You may also advertise your personal sports equipment for sale on the Listserv. The Listserv is NOT to be used for selling non−sports-related or non−club-related items or services, with the exception of tickets to major events. Items purchased at EPSC or KOPSC auction should NOT be resold for profit. If someone identifies a violation of this policy they should report this to the Board which will determine how violators should be sanctioned.
2. You may post group activities that you are organizing, as well as social activities that are open to the entire club membership. Please give details of the outing (date, time, place, cost, etc.). Also provide your contact information if you are organizing the event. Note that the scheduling for all club activities must first be approved by the Activities Chair.
3. KOPSC encourages its members to support local charities; however, care must be taken to avoid overloading our Listserv with information about fundraising opportunities. Members may post Listserv notices about non−club-related fundraisers with the following restrictions:
* The fundraiser must be an actual event that our members can attend. The posting may not be for an on-line fundraising effort or an individual’s request for support for their participation in a charitable event (e.g., “please support my participation in the MS 150 ride”).
* The fundraiser must be for a recognized community charity such as American Cancer Society, SPCA or Wounded Warriors. It cannot be for benefit of private individuals, the exception being fundraising events for KOPSC members or members’ family in need (e.g., Beef & Beer for a member with major medical expenses)
* Please note that members may use the Listserv to organize a group/team to participate in non−club-related charitable events but not to ask for financial support.
* It should be noted that these events are NOT official KOPSC activities.
* To prevent conflicts with official KOPSC events, the appropriate committee chair may be consulted for permission to post.
4. If children are invited, please be sure to stipulate that the event is NOT an official KOPSC activity, unless the Board has approved the event as being family-friendly. (Club rules prohibit persons under the age of 21 from attending our events.) If you wish to have an event designated as family-friendly, please petition the Board before posting your event on the Listserv.
5. Club events must be coordinated through the Activities Chair or other appropriate Committee Chair and should be advertised first on the News Flurries page, which is the primary communications vehicle for KOPSC. Subsequent Listserv postings would serve as reminders about the event as the date and/or deadline draws near.
6. Messages promoting Friday night events that resemble happy hours will not be posted unless approved by our Happy Hour Committee Chair. This is to prevent direct competition with our regularly scheduled happy hours.
7. Please write a simple, clear subject line on your Listserv post. This will make it easier for our membership to skip a message they're not interested in reading. All postings will automatically say “KOPSC,” so you don’t need to add that. When forwarding information from another source, please change the subject line if necessary to clarify the nature of the posting. Please remove all extraneous “headers” and previous distribution lists from forwarded messages as well.
8. Do not submit ANY form of spam (junk email).
9. All “news you can use” related to skiing/snowboarding and other sports-related activities will be allowed, including information about non-club* ski trips, ski shop sales, sales of skiing/boarding equipment, season pass deals, first-hand accounts of ski conditions, and requests for information about ski areas. Please do not submit advertisements/propaganda for a resort or other vendor unless the message pertains to sale or other special offering. (*Non-club trip postings will be allowed if they do not conflict or compete with any KOPSC trips. Such postings must be approved by the Board of Directors and the Ski Trip Planning Committee)
10. Reminders about upcoming events will be limited to one per week. Exceptions will be made for events that are not filling up and which expose the club to financial loss.
11. If you feel a Listserv posting is inappropriate for any reason, please direct your comments to the moderator, rather than to the sender of the original post. It is the moderator’s job to interpret and enforce the Listserv Usage Policy, and your feedback helps to shape that policy. Currently, the Listserv moderator is Sue Hayes.